Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Week 4

Today we spoke briefly in class about using land water appropriately, meaning with some discretion. In this discussion we toughed on the dieas that we no longer eat the Harvest of Oklahoma. Instead we have access to any food in the world that want. Similarly, we dont plant native oklahoma species of grass and varitities of plants, we plant things that require a lot of water or simply a different environment than that of what we have in Oklahoma. I think there is a lot of truth to this discussion. I buy bannanas at the super market, and enjoy having different plants in the garden.I enjoy eating avocados, but you cannot grow an avocado tree in Oklahoma. I have never thought about this discussion until this class. This is also true with the Magnolia tree, I beleive. In southern states the Magnolia tree does very well because it does not handle freezes. Yet, here on the OSU campus there are many Magnolia trees. One particular tree does very well, this tree is located between the Serentean Center and Gunderson.
I went home thinking about how we no longer live off the land as we once did. I wonder what has changed since Oklahomans have stopped eating the fruit of the harvest. Does this explain psychological issues in people, does this explain other issues in health? I heard once that using local honey helps people deal with allergies. This is probably the case with other local harvest. Oklahoma sage is good for many medicinal purposes and the sage has been used in teas and I'm sure Oklahoma Native Indians use the sage for other things. I did a little of my own research to see what the native plants of Oklahoma are:
http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/floraok/stateplants.html
I found a lot of the plants in Oklahoma.
Other interesting things I found are that Oklahoma has 140 different species of trees, both angiosperms and gymnosperms. Some gymnosperms in Oklahoma are the evergreens we have in SouthEastern Oklahoma. Some of the angiosperms are the Peach tree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home